Conforms to: BS 5350: Part B5
BS 3532: 1990: App.K
BS 2782: Part 8 method 835C: 1980
- Digital Display
- Solid State Electronics
- Ease of use
- Simple economic disc change
- Accuracy to 0.1 minutes over all ranges
- Instruments supplied with 20 end discs
- GL-1-1 Gelation Timer 1 stroke / min complete with
- 20 Spare discs. 100-120v / 200-250v / 60-50Hz
- GL-2-10 Gelation Timer 10 stroke / min complete with
- 20 spare discs. 100-120v / 200-250 / 60-50Hz
- GL-H-1 Laboratory stand and holder for Aluminium container
- GL-H-2 Aluminium holder for water bath
- GL-H-3 Aluminium container to BS2782-835c
- Pack of 100
- GL-HD-20 Spare spindles discs and spindles stem
- Pack of 20 discs
Note: Various discs sizes are available 22mm, 19mm or 16mm.
Principle of Operation
A plunger of suitable shape and buoyancy is suspended in the resin from a driven mechanism imparting imparting simple harmonic motion on the downstroke. The gelation time is measured as the period between completion of the addition of all the appropriate curing agents to the resin system and the automatic detection of the moment when gelation of the resin becomes sufficient for the mixture just to support the plunger during the downstroke.
With composites used in industries such as Electronics, Aerospace, and Auto engineering, where adhesive bonding is a key element to the performance of the product, quality control of the product i.e. resin or adhesive is crucial to the quality of the product.
Gelation times are obtained directly to the nearest minute or 0.1 minute. Accuracy is 1% of indicated time at specific temperature. Automatic standardised action eliminates variables of subjective tests which rely on visual assessment. It stops automatically an audible alarm sounds.
The test requires about 100ml of sample in a container at least 38mm internal diameter. The top of the plunger stroke should be no less than 32mm below the sample surface and the bottom of the stroke no closer than 13mm to the bottom of the container. Standard sample cups for use with the instrument are available. See Cat No. GL-H-3.